Monday, March 31, 2008

winter haven


Winter Haven by Athol Dickson is to be released in a couple of weeks.  I was able to read an advance copy and I loved it.  As soon as possible, pick up a copy and spend some time on the rugged island of Winter Haven.

This contemporary novel was masterfully written with a wonderfully gothic feel.  I snuggled under a blanket.  

The writing is clean and vivid.  I feel as if I've actually been to this place off the coast of Maine.  The imagery in Dickson's novels is always wonderful, but flows naturally from the story itself.



Vera leaves Dallas for a tiny island in Maine so that she can recover the body of her brother who has been missing for thirteen years.  Siggy washed ashore all these miles from home, yet how did he get there?  And stranger still, he looks exactly as he did when he disappeared at the age of fifteen.

A massive, brooding house sitting atop a cliff.  The dangerous Atlantic pounding the shore.  A mysterious man, ghosts  and a witch.  Ominous warnings and threats.  Dead bodies, unsolved mysteries and tragedy.  Frightening sounds and unexplained events.  Grief, madness, and grudges.  What is real?  Who can she trust?  She can’t even trust her own mind, or God who is sitting on high waiting to punish her for wayward thoughts or actions. 

Will she be able to unravel the events that brought her brother to this remote place full of evil foreboding?  Will she give in to insanity and the memories that overwhelm her?  There are far more questions than answers as you turn these pages, but as with other Dickson books I’ve read, the ending is satisfying and complete.  All your questions will be answered in full.  You'll find the pieces come together, the ends tied off, and you've had great ride.

Nicole at Into the Fire has posted a review today, too.  So go check that out.

6 comments:

  1. Great review, Kay. Makes me want to read it all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so looking forward to reading this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read, Kay! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an intense book. Thanks for sharing. I always add the books you mention to my library wish list.

    I like your new header picture - bright and springy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay,
    Thank you so much for these kind words. Writing is such a lonely business, it's wonderful to be able to connect with readers like you and find out what you think about my work . . . especially when you like it! :)
    Athol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your new picture ~ are the daffodils starting to come up out there?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!