Tuesday, March 11, 2008

the heart of God


I have prayed for God to let me know His heart and there have been two times where He showed me just a glimpse of it and it was very intense each time.
One time I when I was at a ministry meeting we were all taking turns praying.  When it reached my turn, I couldn't even speak.  I was overwhelmed by all of the pain in the world.  I felt as if God had revealed to me all of the sorrow and suffering and I couldn't bear it.  I just started sobbing and eventually found enough breath to sputter out a clumsy, but heartfelt prayer.  I've never at any other time experienced anything like that.
Another time while in church, I just stopped singing and listened instead to everyone else.  It was a church where people were very open in their worship.  One lady used sign language, with big gestures, to accompany her singing.  People swayed, raised their hands, knelt at their seats, cried, etc.  Some sang very off key, but so full of praise that it didn't matter.  Suddenly I felt God's heart of joy and love for all of these broken, wounded, healed, redeemed people pouring their worship out to Him.  I can't even remember it without tears, it was such a powerful experience.  
How God loves our worship.  How He adores us.  We are His precious children and no matter how imperfectly we do what we do, He treasures it. 
And He knows our pain.  If we knew even one millionth of a percent of the suffering in this world, we would die under it.  But God knows it.  He sees it.  And Jesus died under it for us.  

10 comments:

  1. There have been a few times when God has given me a burden for certain individuals which is so overwhelming I can't even speak their names without weeping. So intense. We'd die in a heartbeat if we felt the depth of His heart, love, pain . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Kay! What a gift to experience God on that level. I've had similar experiences myself. God is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, are you calling me your pet peeve? :oP

    ReplyDelete
  4. So powerful - thank you for making me stop to think of this and to really pay attention next time I am in my church community -
    Praise God....

    God bless - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the kind of worship you spoke of. Unfortunately, I don't get to experience it very often in church, but sometimes I do when it's just God and me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is just beautiful, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had something like that many years ago, at least 35 years. I sat up in the middle of the night with a former co-worker heavy on my mind. He had been a security officer and had left to join the FBI. I hadn't seen or heard from him or even thought much about him for years. I prayed and prayed but never knew why. Perhaps I was the only Christian he knew and God touched my heart. A similar thing happened this last week; a young man I had visited with at the library one day. He had several parenting books and asked me about Christian ones (how did he know?) When I left the library he was sitting under a tree reading one of the books. The police came screeching around the corner and snatched him up. I have no idea where he is but God wanted me to pray for him. I even remember his name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. I pray you experience this more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post..Kay! Thank you for sharing! It blessed me....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!