Monday, March 24, 2008

searching for spice


My friend Megan's book is now in bookstores!  Or you can order a copy from Amazon.
Searching for Spice by Megan DiMaria.  (You say Meegan Dee Maria.)  (I swiped the photo from her site.)
You may have heard me mention that I'm not real fond of romance novels anymore.  I'll tell you why.  I find them to be formulaic, more often than not.  I'm really not that interested in twenty-somethings finding the love of their life -- been there, done that.  And I think they are unrealistic.  Sure, initial attraction is all butterflies and rainbows, but real love isn't.
But this book is a romance unlike any other I've read.  It's real.  The main characters are not the typical romance pair. They are a couple who have been married twenty-five years.  The wife, Linda, realizes that her marriage is lacking something.  She decides to spice things up.  She's hoping to bring back some of that initial sizzle and passion.  But like real life, things don't always go the way she'd hoped.  Life throws us all curve balls and that's how it goes in this book.  Our husbands don't always "get it".  Our kids don't always cooperate.  Life happens.
Because I know Megan, have had lunch with her.  Listened to her tell stories and had conversations with her.  I know that this book is also real in the sense that it is her voice.  Strong and true.  There are no affectations or imitations.  This is Megan telling a wonderful story.
Her writing is snappy and doesn't lull for a minute.  I found myself carried away by the book.  She does an excellent job of keeping you engrossed.  Every chapter has one of those endings that begs for you to read just one more.
This story is about love on all levels.  Real love.  The kind that doesn't always feel what it should.  
It is humorous and light. An easy read.  But you may shed a tear or two along the way.  Because it's about life and life isn't always easy.
I highly recommend that you find a copy right away.  I am sure that you will enjoy it, too.

6 comments:

  1. Great review. Naturally, I agree with you on all of it.

    I especially liked this part:
    "But like real life, things don't always go the way she'd hoped. Life throws us all curve balls and that's how it goes in this book. Our husbands don't always "get it". Our kids don't always cooperate. Life happens."

    So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall try to find it. Good review Kay. Your a good friend you know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book. You are a good friend. Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book ~ wonderful review..and you are a wonderful friend!! I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a good one. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kay,

    Thanks for hosting me on your blog.

    Ladies, thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy reading Searching for Spice.

    A prisoner of hope,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!