Monday, March 10, 2008

messenger of magnolia street

I just finished reading The Messenger of Magnolia Street.  I have read it before.  It's a book that should be re-read.
It's a lovely novel by River Jordan. 
It is different than any other book I've read.  It has some Peretti like supernatural elements.  In fact the whole book is about spiritual warfare.
A small southern town has been sleeping; forgetting to remember.  Without remembering who they are and what there purpose is, without remembering that time keeps on going whether we do or not, without being alert, everything dries up right under their noses.
An angel and God ride up to Washington DC, (in the back of a pickup) to fetch a young man back home.  His name is Nehemiah.  His job is to make something right, but what, he has to figure out along the way.
This story is written from the omniscient narrator POV of the angel.  The story bounces from past, preset, and future, but in a way you can easily follow.
Jordan's writing is very literary.  She uses words like an artist uses paint.  It's a beautiful book with a beautiful theme.
Though published on the general market, it is full of Spiritual truths.  Some so deep I'm not sure I even get them.
Here's one of my favorite lines, "I don't bother stifling a laugh, which no one but you and God can hear.  Sometimes, in the midst of the darkest situations, something funny is still funny."
I would love for some of you to read it and tell me what you think.  I wonder if anyone else will like it?

4 comments:

  1. I will try to read it. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intriguing... I think I checked my library before and they didn't have it?? I would really like to read it. I think spiritual warfare is real and we tend to close our eyes to it. I'm going to check my library now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey they have it! I put it on hold and should have it in my hands tomorrow or the next day :)

    I just finished Unchartered by Angela Hunt. Heavy duty - I posted about it at www.robinsreadingroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really good read! I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!