Wednesday, March 5, 2008

thursday thirteen

I know the formatting on this this is all wonky, but I'm going insane. I can't work with it any longer. Here are thirteen things I love about Colorado (and other Rocky Mountain States)

Ok, so I got a bit carried away...

  1. Wearing a jacket in August because you are 11,000 feet above sea level, (and you'll see patches of snow in the shade, too)
  2. Prairie Dogs
  3. Pronghorn
  4. Buttercups

  5. Indian Paintbrushes

  6. These little bitty wild daisy things

  7. Real cowboys

  8. Pikes Peak (click for a live view of the peak)

  9. The smell of the air

  10. Cold rain to cool off a hot day

  11. Cacti

  12. Ice cold streams in July

  13. Views that go on forever (click for views from cameras atop Pike's Peak)

  14. Seeing the curvature of the earth
  15. 15. Incredible blue skies, (I've been other places. The sky is not the same.)

    16. Aspen trees

    17. Timberline

    18. Red rocks


  16. Big Horn Sheep




And I will share a fabulous poem I wrote several years ago about my favorite spot on the top of the Continental Divide. It's the first poem I've written since school made me.

Continental Divide

This is where the waters are born

here in the home of clouds

I stand upon this solid ground

and watch

as birds take wing beneath me

The sun's warmth is stifled here

by air so thin it burns

It seems I should extend my arm

to reach

and touch the fire that shuns me

Freedom is the word that spins

weaving throughout my mind

To leave behind the cares of life

and stand

where earth reaches to meet me

Heaven seems much nearer here

on the top of the world

God who whispered this into place

looks down

and takes the moment to greet me

C.KayDay2008






12 comments:

  1. Great list! I love all those things. I want to be in the mountains right now. Too cold.

    QOTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful list. I love those things about Colorado too. And, yes--your poem is fabulous. Thanks for sharing it.

    A prisoner of hope,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Colorado many times, and it is indeed a beautiful state. I so love the mountains as you do. What a beautiful poem too. That's what the mountains can do for you. Have a great TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of pronghorns before. What a beautiful creature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your part of Colorado sounds nicer than my part! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those prairie dogs are so adorable. They look like they are having a conversation with each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome list..making me just a little "homesick" for Montana...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I clicked to see Pikes Peak and got a black picture with little bitty points of light. Oh yeah! It's night!! Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a city girl. But I've always had a thing for cowboys and mountains (smile). Lovely pictures, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poem was great. Write some more. QOTW

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!