Sunday, March 2, 2008

sheep

Since this month is Passover and Easter and Spring, my mind naturally went to sheep.

I love sheep. God loves sheep. They are symbolic of we, His people and also of Him, the Lamb of God. Any time I see sheep I find myself quoting some of the following scriptures to them. I love it when I get to be near some sheep. They are goofy. Completely helpless on their own. Not the brightest, they tend to get themselves in trouble when left to their own devices. But they, in many parts of the world, are very valuable. Just like us.

"But he brought his people out like a flock; he led them like sheep through the desert" Psalm 78:52

"Then we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will praise you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise." Psalm 79:13

"Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his ; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture." Psalm 100:3

"I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands." Psalm 119:176

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:6

"He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth." Isaiah 53:7

"For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them as a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. " Ezekiel 34:11, 12

"I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign LORD." Ezekiel 34:15

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11

"May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20, 21



5 comments:

  1. Awesome..Kay! I think along the same lines when I think of sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post, but one thing... um, you talk to sheep? Didn't you also used to preach to your cat? I think I remember you telling me we should because the Bible said "every creature" How aften do you get to see sheep? Im just teasing, I think your post is very timely. People are like sheep if you really think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminders. The Great Shepherd is good to us. QOTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the scriptures. I'm glad we have a Good Shepherd to keep us (sheep) on the straight and narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last Sunday evening our pastor was talking about Peter, about the walking on water episode. When he said they thought Jesus was a ghost, he accidently said goat! We all reacted instantly as did he. He was so embarrassed and he kept his cool not too good. We all giggled off and on for awhile. Later I got to thinking about us being sheep and Jesus being our leader. Most sheep farmers will tell you that sheep are so dumb they need a leader, usually in the body of a GOAT. So, was the pastor too far off or not? No disrespect meant toward our Savior, however. Forgive me if you find this offensive. But sheep will follow the goat wherever and they trust him to lead them in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!