Tuesday, March 4, 2008

politics

Jen has a couple of great posts on her blog that got me thinking about all this. Go look at her posts, too.
You will not see me post on politics very often. I can't stand politics. But it is the way our government runs and this side of the Millennium, we are just going to have to put up with flawed government.

Personally, I believe Jesus wasn't concerned with politics. He lived in a land that was under occupation by an invading army. The Romans were heartless to their subjects. But in spite of the people's expectations, Jesus never addressed the political system, other than telling them to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's." So, it makes me wonder how involved his people should be in these things. Certainly not to the exclusion of His Kingdom's concerns.
On the other hand, people argue, politics is the avenue to change and we, as Christians must be deeply involved, influencing our culture through our vote. (I did go to Jerry Falwell's school after all) I personally believe our influence should be on a different level, but that's for another time.


Now, about current politics:
I am a Huckabee fan, but it looks like he's out of the running, barring a miracle. Well, I guess fan isn't the right word. I'm not a fan of any politician, but he is the one I dislike the least.
Honestly I think about politics as little as possible. But because people that I know and respect have differing opinions, it has caused me to step back and look at politics in a new way.
I used to think "Republican all the way - it's the Christian thing to do."But now I know some godly people who think that dying in Iraq or Darfur is dying just the same as dying in the womb. That dying because you have no health insurance is still dying.
Pro-life is my main issue and always will be. And while I've always been aware of how the abortion climate spreads to infanticide, euthanasia, child abuse, etc, I am now seeing that pro-life extends even beyond that to some of the issues that the Democrats are more likely to address.
And that's only one issue. What about illegal immigrants? What about war? What about the Patriot Act? Our freedom vs our safety? It's such a complex world.
I take my comfort in knowing that it is God who establishes kings and brings them down. Whoever comes to power, it will be by God's hand.

16 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with politics. I want to know all I can..so I am educated and know what is going on around me..at the same time if I spend all my time listening to Hannity or the news stations I get cynical and frustrated..so this is when I am thankful for my relationship with the Lord and knowing that God is still on the throne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always interested in politics. Kay, you said it exactly right...

    "But now I know some godly people who think that dying in Iraq or Darfur is dying just the same as dying in the womb. That dying because you have no health insurance is still dying...I am now seeing that pro-life extends even beyond that to some of the issues that the Democrats are more likely to address."

    That's the exact thought that I'm struggling with. And yet it makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, I am a Christian who happens to be a democrat. I am pro life and anti death penalty. I am anti Iraq war and anti universal health care. There is no party that fits my views perfectly. So, right now I am going with the issue that I am most passionate about. I want us out of Iraq. Ergo, a few months ago I switched from Repub to Demo. I don't talk about politics a lot, because I am not set on arguing; I just want to follow the convictions God has given me. I appreciate the openness in your blog. I have family members who treated my switch in parties like a walk into pure heathenism. "Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King was really talking about politics. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, I am a Christian who happens to be a democrat. I am pro life and anti death penalty. I am anti Iraq war and anti universal health care. There is no party that fits my views perfectly. So, right now I am going with the issue that I am most passionate about. I want us out of Iraq. Ergo, a few months ago I switched from Repub to Demo. I don't talk about politics a lot, because I am not set on arguing; I just want to follow the convictions God has given me. I appreciate the openness in your blog. I have family members who treated my switch in parties like a walk into pure heathenism. "Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King was really talking about politics. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will just offer this thought. If you are pro-life in response to unborn children who have no voice and are victims, it is not equitable to being an individual who has chosen to defend this country from terroism. If you are pro-life in the terms of anti-abortion, the platform of the Democrat party does not stand for your convictions and will not alter their stance.
    While I do not challenge your convictions as to how you perceive the Iraq war, as a Christian, I staunchly disagree that we should get out, and the young men I know who have served there (twice) and are now serving there also disagree.
    Everyone dies. Whether we die nobly as a defender of rights and freedoms, or whether we die as victims of murder as those who are aborted, is ultimately a choice for some and not for others. God will still be on the throne to welcome His people when they take their last breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, I was thinking after I posted and realized that the soldiers dying in Iraq did chose to go into the military, knowing what it may require. The innocent people dying over there are another thing...
    And the people dying in Darfur, while I think we should help, we are not the ones killing them. We, as a nation are killing unborn babies. Because our government sanctions it, we are doing it. And God will not bless us until we stop.
    I will always vote for the pro-life candidate. Some people think that is narrow minded, but I see a majority of our other issues stemming from that issue. And I do believe it can be overturned. Nothing is impossible for God. There has been some great headway against abortion under Bush's adminisration. Not all of it can be credited to him, much of it is on the state level, but still, change can happen!
    As for the war, I honestly cannot decide what I think. So I can't consider that in my voting decision.

    Thank you all for your comments. Especially you, Robbie, having the courage to announce you are a Democrat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff, very good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw that Huckabee officially dropped out of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really enjoyed these posts by Jen and You ~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a Repubican but I realize there is no panacea in the Republican Party.

    I think the problem is that it is natural for people to join a team and then support the team no matter what. It becomes an all or nothing proposition.

    Well, I have several problems with the Republican party. But ultimately on the national level, voting for democrats is voting for abortion, for removing Christian values from our culture, for the continued demonization of Christianity, for the continued propagation of anti-christian values when it comes to our children - be it education or cultural lifestyle.

    So, I'm certainly not Republican all the way. But I am on the national level until the status quo platforms change.

    When it comes to war, the fact is: it is sometimes unfortunately necessary. I'd like to believe everyone is against war. Just like I'm against shooting someone. But if he's in my house and threatening my family - I'd pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OBAMA in 2008. Got HOPE?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well - McCain fundamentally misses the boat on pro-life issues. See http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/John_McCain_Abortion.htm

    You cannot classify abortion as murder and then say it is ok in the case of rape or incest. It is still murder.

    George W Bush has given us:

    Largest national debt and deficit we have ever seen.
    A military that is spread too thin.
    Education that fails our children and leaves more kids behind.
    Scandals and disgraces with his administration.
    Made our country a laughing stock.
    Take away our civil liberties and provided a mechanism for our government to spy on citizens (and don't be fooled - this will be used against Christians someday).
    Lies, lies and more lies.

    Just like my friend, my vote goes for change...Obama 08!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've bought into the liberal dogma. They've mastered the lies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not "liberal" I am a thinking, patriotic American. that is why I am voting for Obama! What lies? Bush and the neo-cons have sold the Constitution to Halibuton and other Globals. God save the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Proof you've bought into the lies.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!