Friday, August 24, 2007

life is like a bottle of lotion



Or something like that.


If you pour the whole bottle on at once, it just lies there and rubs off on your clothing and doesn't do as much good as it should. But if you put on just the right amount and rub it in thoroughly and let it soak in, well, ahhhh. Then you can apply another dollop and repeat the process.


That is how God does life. He works in just a little bit at a time, when sometimes I would like to just get the bottle empty, get it done and be what it is I need to be.


So He tells me about things. Just whispering sometimes. A niggling feeling. A discomfort. Then He may send a human to say some words about it. Then most often He also puts a book into my hands to really massage the message in.


That's what happened with Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson. This book hit on things that God has been rubbing into my life for years. Bit by bit. Things like what it means to be content. What does love look like? What does it feel like? What does it mean to be like Jesus? Who are we supposed to love and how? And why? Its the kind of book that I will keep around and refer back to. Probably even mark up. It is rich and challenging.


Lisa has a unique voice and it always takes me a chapter or so to get into her flow, but once I do, it's like buttah' baby.


If you feel up to re-thinking some things, or maybe even being affirmed in what you already think, then read this one. You will be greatly entertained the entire time that God is applying the lotion. And meet some wonderful characters along the way. I even like the characters that I didn't like!


Think how soft and smooth we'll be when He's done.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, Kay. You've confirmed that the impulse buy to get this book from Amazon the other day was a good idea. But you've also got me a little concerned about the "re-thinking" part.

    My life seems to be in enough turmoil right now that I don't "need" to have my conscience pricked and prodded. Well, it probably does NEED it, I'm not sure I'm up to it. Ya know what I mean? (Look what it "did" to the Ragamuffin Diva!)

    I love your analogy of how God does life! Evocative.

    **sigh** I guess I'm supposed to open that box from Amazon, aren't I? I guess I'm supposed to do more than take the three Lisa Samson novels out of the box and put them on the shelf or night stand. I'm supposed to read them.

    That's what I get for entering a writing contest that gave me a gift certificate to Amazon; and then clicking on the picture of Lisa's book at her website and deciding to use my gift cerificate to get that book ... **sigh** teach me to enter any more contests! LOL!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool my library has that book and I put it on hold...ready to be challenged...I think...but as the previous person said I already have enough going on in my life...I think I crave it...

    Your posts are always thought provoking and humorous - if I have to take medicine at least let me laugh :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed! You must have had some wonderful thoughtful parents!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!