Saturday, July 5, 2008

writing help


I have something really cool to tell you about.  But you'll only be interested if you are a writer.  And it will only be useful if you are lucky enough to use a Mac. (If you have a PC, there is a note for you at the end of this post.)

Angie Hunt mentioned this cool program at the Glen Eyrie conference and I only just got around to downloading the free trial.  It's called Scrivener and it is designed specifically for writers.  It would work for any  kind of writing, I suppose, even a big term paper or something.  It will definitely work for either fiction or non-fiction and even has applications specific to screenwriting.

I'm still figuring it all out, even though it has a very nice tutorial.  But here are some things I can do.  
I have broken my draft into scenes and each scene also has a notecard that has a synopsis on it.  That notecard goes on a little cork-board where I can switch them around and see what order I want my story to be.
Also, because it is broken into scenes, it is much less intimidating to me.  I can open one scene and work on it and not feel overwhelmed by all those pages and words that I don't know what to do with or where to start and its just too much so I'll just play a game instead.
Breaking it into scenes is completely easy.

 Before I do anything with it at all, I can take a "snapshot" and that saves the original and I can always go back to the original if I feel like I have completely messed something up.  Security.  That's what that is.

I can - so they tell me - type in a characters name and get all the parts that pertain to them so that I can be sure their individual story line makes sense.
I can keep track of all of my research and can open more than one pane, so that I can see my text and my research and my synopsis all at the same time.

Cool, huh?  I'm getting it.  Its only $40 and my hubby, who is a programmer, is very impressed with the program and says its a great deal at that price.

For those with PCs, if you are still reading, they recommend this program as a comparable option.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I can't even figure out how to manage my blogger thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful and really useful. I suppose it would be possible to set up something similar by myself. My version probably wouldn't be quite so easy to use, but still helpful. I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great for those that write and own a Mac..just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so now your book will be out when? hee, hee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips. I look forward to reading more on the topic in the future. Keep up the good work! This blog is going to be great resource. Love reading it.
    ................................
    term paper writers-Essay Writing Help

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!