Friday, June 3, 2011

passive-reactive, or why i don't make a plan

Michael Hyatt, the Chairman of Thomas Nelson Publishers, has a plan. He regularly sits down with his wife and they plan out their lives. He even has an e-book called Creating Your Personal Life Plan to show you how to do it yourself. And he's giving it away. Free. Go check it out. I'll wait.

I think it's wonderful--for him. And maybe for you.

But for me? It sounds like torture. Then prison. Then maybe a ball and chain. But that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing it. It obviously works for him. The man is productive. He's accomplishing things.

What I am saying is that it takes all types and I'm not that type.

I'm not really that interested in climbing ladders. I don't look back on my day and measure my productivity. I'm really more about being than I am about doing. My focus is on relationships and being available. I go with the flow. Where ever the wind blows.

In college a friend asked if I was more active or passive. I didn't understand at the time, but now I know that I am definitely passive. For sure. No question.

Being active, goal oriented, productive, and driven is highly valued in our culture. Ambition rules!

But that's not me. And you know what? I'm ok with that. Because I'm ok with being me.

I guess you would say I'm reactive rather than proactive. But I prefer the word responsive.

Things happen; I respond.

I have no idea of where I'll be in five years. I have some things I'd like to accomplish by then and I work toward that, but I'm flexible. I don't even know where I'll be in six months.

Michael is prayerful about his life plan. God is involved.

I am prayerful about my responses. I am prayerful about my dreams. I think we have the same end, but different ways of travelling there. He's a jet, I'm a balloon.
He goes where God tells him to, and so do I.

It takes all types.
Maybe he and I are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Perhaps there are many other types in between.

What about you. Are you a planner? Are you a responder? Are you ambitious and driven? Do you go where the wind takes you? Or are you a combination? Tell me about you.

1 comment:

  1. Kay, I think God has purposely made us with such variety. We all have different roles to fill in God's kingdom. Wouldn't it be awful to have a dreamer in an administrative position, or a hard-driving type A-er in a ministry that requires gentleness, sensitivity and finesse?
    I love the way you value your own type of life-approach. You seem to know what God has called you to, but you don't devalue others (like Michael) who approach life in a different way.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!