Thursday, July 23, 2009

books

I am mostly a fiction reader, but I have read many wonderful non-fiction books, too.
I thought I would share some of my favorites.

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. The story of her family as they hid Jews from the Nazis in Holland.

A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliott. The biography of Amy Carmichael, missionary to India.

Loneliness by Elisabeth Elliott. A wonderful book, full of many good lessons.

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Van Auken. A beautiful love story that leads to the truest Love Story.

Our Covenant God by Kay Arthur. I am leading a study using this book. Every Christian should study Covenant. "Everything God does is based on Covenant." Kay A. says.

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennen Manning. A simple message of God's love and grace.

Touch by Pastor Rudy Rasmus. An example of how the church should function.

What are some of your favorites?

10 comments:

  1. My all time favorite and possibly the best book I've ever read (other than the Bible of course) is Lee Stroebel's The Case for Christ.

    Honorable mention: Dean Koontz's How to Write Bestselling Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the kid's version of The Case for Christ with my kids for school.
    But I haven't read the adult version.

    I haven't read Koontz's book either. So it's your favorite writing book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, by far.

    It's a hard book to find, though. I checked it out at my library and it was so good I bought a used copy on-line for $85.

    In fact, Jenkin's Writing for the Soul, admittedly so, is basically a rehash of some of the same info.

    David Morrell's The Successful Novelist is also very good. He's the guy who wrote First Blood (Rambo)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise Miller HolmesJuly 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM

    Okay Dayle. I just bought How to Write Best Selling Fiction. It was 64.50 from Amazon.

    Thanks for the recommend.

    Oh yeah, Kay. Good list of Non-fiction. I like the Our Covenant God too.
    redhotread.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So now I can borrow Denise's copy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Denise. Way to put the pressure on. Now I'm gonna feel bad if you don't like it.

    Okay, I'm not gonna worry, you can always put it on ebay and get your money back.

    Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like a loser. The only one I've read is The Ragamuffin Gospel, which is also one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have lists of books that appeal to me. That's not to say I write them down and try to find them at the library. I don't know why not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dittos Melanie. Loved the Hiding Place. Also, like the book Schindler's List, which had many more stories of the lives both Oscar Schindler & his wife, Emily, who really was a hero in her own right.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!