Tuesday, July 5, 2011

i love me

photo from morguefile.com
For several years now I've prayed that God would show me His heart. I've asked Him to cause me to love what He loves and hate what He hates.
I know that God is answering that prayer. I love other people far more than my natural tendencies would account for. I can see a big change, especially over the last few years.

But this occurred to me the other day: if I'm going to love what God loves, I'm going to have to be crazy, head over heals in love with myself.

We have such a hard time with that, don't we? Even the idea of loving ourselves sounds conceited, arrogant, self-centered.

We also find it difficult because we don't really believe how much He loves us. Or maybe we believe in our heads, but we don't really believe it.

Sure, He loves me. He loves everybody. We can accept that.

But it goes much deeper. He rejoices over me with singing.
He sings songs about me! He absolutely adores me.

He absolutely adores you. Head over heals!

So, if I'm going to love what God loves, if I want to know His heart, I'm going to have to love me. I pray that He'll show me how.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Profound. I'm posting this link. Too many Christians think they're supposed to go around thinking they're unlovable scum. NOT SO. Lev. 19:18: "[Y]ou shall love your neighbor as yourself." I don't think you'd treat your neighbor very well if you thought of yourself as someone God barely tolerates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Evangeline. I don't know why Google has forgotten who I am. Anyway, great thoughts, Kay. And, yes, this is one of the hardest things to understand. I don't have anything profound to add. But there are times I stumble across this truth and am forced to look in the mirror and declare myself loved. The other days I just declare myself a mess.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!