Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lent

Lent is almost over!

The past couple of years I've given up Facebook for lent, which isn't a bad idea considering how much time I spend on there. But it didn't really do anything for me spiritually.

This year I gave up food. Not all food, but nearly all good food. At least in my taste-buds' opinion.
It's been tough.
But there is some kind of connection between food and the soul. When we deprive the body of something it wants, the soul gets stronger. When we ignore the cries of the flesh, we are better able to hear the wooing of the Spirit.

This has been a tough (almost) forty days. But it's been wonderful, too. It's not gone the way I expected. I didn't experience sweetness and pats on the head. God has gotten down to business. And so have I. It's been hard work. And painful. But so good.

So, with mixed emotions I look forward to eating a cheeseburger next week. I'm happy to be getting my food choices back. But a little sad to leave this season.
Still, life is made of seasons. Fasting and feasting and I'm sure that I will find God in the feasting of Easter as much as I have in the fasting of Lent.

Do you practice Lent? If so, how? And if not, have you considered it?

3 comments:

  1. I love this quote: "When we ignore the cries of the flesh, we are better able to hear the wooing of the Spirit." Lovely!

    I hope the break from your fast is joyful, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, it's wonderful that God is working through you in this time of Lent. I love how you mention "the wooing of the Spirit." He is our heavenly Lover, isn't He. That's beautiful, and I'm going to remember that. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you won't want to eat some of the food you've given up, when the time comes. Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!