Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas

Once again Christmas glitter is dulled by clouds of sorrow. Some of my friends have cancer. There are marriages that have broken, are breaking, or are tottering on the edge. I have friends who've lost mothers in the past couple of months. Friends who don't know if they'll see next Christmas. Friends who are weighed down by pain, physical and emotional.

The past couple of years, I've posted about suffering this time of year. You can read one of the posts here.  Not because I'm negative, but because reality has a way of invading. And this time of year when everyone wants to have the "Christmas Spirit" it can be very discouraging to be in a place where you can't find it.

I have my own set of things I'm coping with. I imagine many of you do, too. Stress takes up a lot of room.

I'm simplifying things this year. I'm off schedule for decorating my house. I forgot to get teachers' gifts for my daughter's school. I'm not doing any kind of get-together this year. And I've let that be okay. Why should I pile more stress on? That's not what Christmas is supposed to be about. Not about how pretty my house looks or how many parties I go to. Not even about buying everyone a gift.

Christmas is about God meeting man. It's about me letting God meet me where I am, in the quiet moments when I'll hear him, see him, acknowledge that he is with me.
God with me.
Emmanuel.
God is here. In this moment. In whatever mess you are living in right now. God is here. Let's take the time to breathe, to slow down and let him show us what he wants us to see.
This may not be the Christmas of all Christmases. The kids may not have homemade cookies or get the gift of their dreams.
But if we let God in, then it's Christmas the way it's meant to be.

4 comments:

  1. You're very wise, Kay. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kay! Transparency in the buff. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this reminder. It was God's word for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. I always think that all we need are the things that were in the manger that night... Jesus, joy, gratitude, worship, and the sacrifice of Christmas, that God would give up the glory of heaven to live with us.

    Thanks for the reminder.....

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!