Monday, November 1, 2010

art every day

Last year I did the NaNoWriMo challenge. I wrote 50,000 words in November. It was really good for me. I turned off the inner critic, the inner perfectionist, and the inner rule-follower and wrote whatever came into my head.
I gleaned two stories from the mess that came out of that.

This year I'm not doing NaNo. I'm doing something called Art Every Day Month instead. The process will be similar for me, though. I'm just as critical and perfectionistic about my art as I am about my writing. Which is quite frustrating as I can never get things to look the way I want them to. I'm not a real artist, I just play one in my mind. ;)

Creating some kind of artwork every day is going to require that I put all that aside. The idea of random and carefree creativity appeals to me and terrifies me.

I know that this throwing off of the fetters will help me in my writing as well.

It's been a long time since I've been in an artistic groove. I'm looking forward to it. I'm declaring it a month of fun, unleashed creativity. Imperfect. Unedited. Free.

If you want to join in the fun, click here.

Today's piece is "Chicken."



9 comments:

  1. I love it! You draw better than I do! If I tried to draw a chicken it would probably look like... not a chicken... ;-)

    I'm of the opinion that no exercise in creativity is wasted. You will probably come out of this month with all kinds of great musings for your writing. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice chicken (found ya through AeDM challenege, which I'm also doing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a writer and an artist! Adorable drawing. it seems to tell a story all it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I agree. Even if I don't have new musings, I hope to at least be a little more relaxed and perhaps get off my own back for a while.

    Missy and Kelly, thanks! I'm glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting about aedm!! I'm glad to have something besides Nano!! Thank you!!

    And that's one awesome chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great rooster!

    And I love the approach you're taking with Art Every Day Month. It's so good for everyone to let go of that inner critic and just create!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, that's good. Great idea. Is that chicken for me? You know how I love chickens. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog Kay! Great posts! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh I love your Chicken (especially as a person who keep chickens for pets/fresh eggs!)
    Thanks for sharing via AEDM

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!