Wednesday, April 28, 2010

retreat


The purpose of retreat in military terms is to get yourself together. Regroup. It has a bad connotation I suppose: running away.
But I think sometimes we have to run away. We have to go to a safe place and examine our resources, evaluate our strengths and weaknesses, tend to wounds, and gain sustenance.
This weekend I went with six other ladies on a WAAWG. A Weekend Almost Alone With God. A local ministry called Caleb's Heart Ministries hosts these for men and for women separately.

We drove to the Franciscan Retreat Center in Colorado Springs where we each checked into a private room. We met for some worship and encouragement.
Then we went our own ways. Alone. With God. Some wandered the beautiful grounds in spite of wind and low temps. Others stayed in their rooms. We prayed, sang, danced, knelt, lay prostrate, read Scripture, wept, wrote, made art, fasted, feasted and napped with the Lord.

I learned how to pray with my eyes, nose, feet, tears, and repose.

It was refreshing, filling, and healing. And it was much needed. God has been gently urging me to come away with Him for years. Other than basic procrastination, I'm not sure why I haven't before now. It will definitely be a routine part of my spiritual life from here on out.

God met me in secret places I didn't even know existed. Revealed wounds I didn't know I had. Showed me answers and gave me new questions. He spent time with me.

The photo was found at morguefile by the photographer taliesin.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like something I really need to do. I know being still and alone with God is something that is so important, yet I rarely do it for more than a few minutes at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful. So glad you enjoyed it so much. Couldn't have come at a more stressful time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kay--great insight. Naps--I love WAWG Naps! Thanks so much for taking the time to seek Him. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!