Thursday, August 26, 2010

what is real?

There's a lot of talk these days about authenticity. At least in my circle of friends.
It's an idea I've been meditating on for some time. What does it mean? It's something that I certainly can't cover in one post, so expect to be hearing more from me on the topic.

We live in a world where it's difficult to detect what is real and what isn't. Vocalists are auto-tuned so that can't tell what their real voices sound like. Even I could sound good with that technology!
Photos are manipulated to show any variety of things. Some are obvious, but others are quite deceptive. I could whittle myself down to a size 5 and erase every sign of aging if I had the right computer program.
These days, you can't even believe your own eyes or ears.

And in the midst of this there is a desire for authenticity. People want to know that what they see is what they get. People are tired of hypocrisy, (I suppose they always have been, I mean, who likes a hypocrite?) and games, and facades.

But do we even know what that looks like anymore? Authenticity, I mean. Do we know what it means to be real?

3 comments:

  1. In post-modern American society, we suffer from too many fake and shallow relationships; most lack authenticity. Authentic relationships are hard work and get sloppy, uncomfortable, and challenging at times. So, if the relationships you find yourself in right now are easy, neat, and sugar sweet, chances are that relationship is not authentic. I challenge you to take time, examine your relationships, an if they are not authentic, you have to options. Option one, take a long hard look and do what you can to that relationship true. Option two, seriously investigate how you can change that relationship in an authentic one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the word 'authentic' has been overused lately. Most of us would say we value it, but like you, I wonder if we really know what that means? I think it's a scary thing, actually. It goes hand-in-hand with being vulnerable and humble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a photographer there is a fine line about giving a finished product and a raw image. I don't normally let people see my work without some editing. I kind of compare that to a blog post or a book, they need to be worked over more than one time. Somethings are great raw, say carrots for instance.

    But I think it takes a very daring person to completely honest and transparent. I have tried to be that way, and I am not sure if I have even come close to hitting that mark. I have chosen distance in the last few years due to wounds that haven't healed yet. My guess, that is where a lot of people are- walls and distance so they don't get hurt again. That's my two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!